Do you have steady hands and pay close attention to detail? Are you organized, detailed and a good listener?
Then you may be a good fit for Job Corps’ Painting, Pre-Apprentice training program. Pre-apprenticeships are focused on preparing students for a successful experience in a Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP). That means your hands-on training will be based on industry standards in order to prepare you for high-skill, quality employment.
On the job, you will ...
- Apply paint, stain and coatings to walls and ceilings, buildings, bridges or other items such as cars, jewelry and ceramics
- Use machinery to apply the paints or use scaffolding and raise ladders
- Fill holes and cracks with plaster and putty
- Use simple math to calculate the size of an area that needs to be painted
- Be organized and able to maintain and clean your workspace and tools
Some of the career options you will have ...
Most Painting Job Corps graduates go to work as painters in the public and private sectors. Painters spend most of the time on their feet and must have physical strength and endurance to complete their tasks. Painters work with their hands all day and enjoy a team atmosphere when completing large jobs. Painters complete jobs on location, so it is common to travel quite a bit within the local area.
The credentials you will earn ...
In the Painting, Pre-Apprentice training program you can earn a pre-apprentice certificate of completion that offers registered apprenticeship opportunities and on-the-job experience. You will earn industry-recognized credentials from organizations such as the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT) and certifications in construction safety and health from the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA).
Students should also earn a state-issued learner’s permit and driver’s license upon completion of the program.
What you’ll need to start training ...
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (can be earned at all Job Corps centers)
- Completion of all introductory and career preparation courses
- Passing scores on all written and performance tests
- Meet academic (math and reading) requirements